Rogue Climate Job Posting: Community Outreach and Youth Organizer
Applications due by Friday, August 10
ABOUT ROGUE CLIMATE
Since 2013, Rogue Climate has been building a climate movement in southern Oregon to achieve solutions to climate change that result in cleaner energy, sustainable jobs and a healthy climate, while preserving our rural quality of life. We have also played a lead organizing role in Oregon to stop new fossil fuel infrastructure, like the proposed Jordan Cove LNG export terminal and the Pacific Connector Pipeline. We are committed to working for climate solutions that result in a just transition to clean energy that benefits those most impacted by climate change including youth, low income communities, and communities of color.
At Rogue Climate, we acknowledge the tremendous threat climate change poses to future generations and that young people, rural communities, and communities of color, have a large role to play in the just transition to clean energy. That’s why we prioritize working with young people to develop the skills and experience necessary to be the next generation of climate leaders. We also acknowledge the need for community members of all ages and backgrounds in southern Oregon to be active in grassroots, community-led movements to build a healthy future for everyone.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
As the Rogue Climate Community Outreach and Youth Organizer, you will be responsible for developing a robust grassroots volunteer engagement program to support Rogue Climate campaigns, including the campaign to stop the Pacific Connector fracked gas pipeline and Jordan Cove LNG export terminal. This position will have a special emphasis on youth leadership development. You will be working with a strong team dedicated to activating community members in the Rogue Valley. This position will report directly to the Rogue Climate Director and will bottom-line projects including community volunteer and youth programs, the Rogue Climate Internship program, and youth organizing trainings. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated and politically driven individual who is passionate about climate and social justice, movement building, youth empowerment and leadership development, and is invested in positive change for our communities in southern Oregon. Core duties include:
- Active recruitment of youth and community volunteers through field outreach activities including phone banking, canvassing, community presentations, digital organizing, and more. Regular and ongoing field work is a requirement of this position.
- Develop a regular volunteer schedule, recruit to volunteer shifts, and build and implement systems including volunteer data management, ongoing volunteer engagement, and leadership development pathways
- Activate new leaders to be part of climate campaigns in the Rogue Valley by developing and working closely with community and youth teams, scheduling regular volunteer activities, and ongoing trainings.
- Work with community and youth leadership groups in coordination with campaign staff to plan and execute projects, actions, and events that build the climate movement in southern Oregon.
- Recruit for and lead Rogue Climate’s youth internship program.
- Develop and facilitate workshops on racial, economic, and climate justice, organizing, and campaign planning.
- Work with partner organizations to plan and execute workshops, convenings, and trainings including logistics, recruitment and coordination of speakers and trainers, developing schedules and curriculums, fundraising, and youth outreach.
- Assist in other tasks as needed/assigned to advance Rogue Climate campaigns and goals.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 2 years of experience in grassroots, campus, or campaign organizing work
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to successfully work with volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Experience working with youth leaders and developing youth programming.
- Ability to identify volunteer leaders, set priorities and move teams of volunteers in line with our goals and strategic direction.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Commitment to working long and irregular hours (including evenings and weekends) as needed.
- Goal-oriented, hard-working and able to work well under pressure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs.
- Ability to travel across Jackson and Josephine counties extensively and throughout the state on occasion
PREFERED POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
- Proficiency in VAN, NationBuilder, or another database management system preferred but not necessary.
- Background in engaging with people from underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Familiarity with climate or energy policy at the local and state level.
SALARY and LOCATION
This position is based out of the Rogue Action Center in Medford, Oregon. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include monthly health care stipend, vacation and sick time.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and specify “Community Outreach and Youth Organizer” in the subject line. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting immediately.